1909-1972. A politician and author. Founder of the Convention People's Party (CPP) in the British Gold Coast colony, 1949; he would serve time briefly as a political prisoner for his activism, but later became prime minister of the Gold Coast from 1952-1957, and then of newly-independent Ghana, starting in 1957. Nkrumah tried to modernize and diversify his nation's economy, an attempt to break free of its traditional role as supplier of cheap cocoa.

For a while, it worked. But cocoa was still important, and a serious drop in prices caused a deep, ongoing economic crisis in the early 60s, by which time he'd assumed the presidency and, later, declared himself "President for Life" (always a bad sign).

Nkrumah became yet another pompous third world leader, joining the chorus of those who were making Marx spin in his grave by embracing pseudo-Marxism as some sort of panacea for a failed, undeveloped capitalist economy; something tells me Old Karl might have preferred the Original Kwame of '57.

Early in 1966, he went on a trip to North Vietnam, in a gesture of internationalist solidarity with Ho Chi Minh; in his absence, the armed forces staged a coup d'état and put up a "Don't bother coming home" sign in the window. There may have been a CIA connection, since his rhetoric in those last few years probably set off some Red flags in Washington on a regular basis. The new rulers banned the CPP, and Nkrumah spent the remainder of his life as an honored exile in Guinea, before dying in 1972.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.