An outdoor cookstove used to cook hamburgers, hot dogs, shish kebabs, and barbecue steaks. They typically consist of a shallow pit (for placing charcoal, mesquite chips, lighter fluid, and other fire-related items, including fire), a cooking surface of parallel metal bars, and a metal lid.

Also, the act of cooking food on a grill.

Also, a kind of restaurant featuring food cooked on a grill, or at least allegedly cooked on a grill. Commonly combined with a bar so that it may be called a bar and grill. Also commonly featuring various tacky souvenirs and knickknacks stuck on the walls, chipper college-age waitstaff bedecked in buttons, pins, and ribbons, and a large variety of fruity drinks and margaritas.

Let's not forget: it's also a metal or plastic grating, usually decorative, covering a window or the front end of a car. On your car, it's the place where you have to pick all the dead bugs out of when you wash it.

And finally, the act of relentlessly interrogating or cross-examining someone.

Thanks to NatchLucid for the reminder about the restaurants...

Grill, n. [F. gril. See Grill, v. t.]

1.

A gridiron.

[They] make grills of [wood] to broil their meat.
Cotton.

2.

That which is broiled on a gridiron, as meat, fish, etc.

 

© Webster 1913


Grill, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grilled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Grilling.] [F. griller, fr. gril gridiron, OF. graïl, L. craticulum for craticula fine hurdlework, a small gridiron, dim. of crates hurdle. See Grate, n.]

1.

To broil on a grill or gridiron.
[1913 Webster]

Boiling of men in caldrons, grilling them on gridirons.
Marvell.

2.

To torment, as if by broiling. Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913


Grill (?), n.

1.

A figure of crossed bars with interstices, such as those sometimes impressed upon postage stamps.

2.

A grillroom.

 

© Webster 1913


Grill, v. t.

To stamp or mark with a grill.

 

© Webster 1913


Grill, v. i.

To undergo the process of being grilled, or broiled; to broil.

He had grilled in the heat, sweated in the rains.
Kipling.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.