An amusing and informative book about Science and the people behind discoveries

If there were one popular science book I would recommend, currently I need go no further than this one.

Not only is it (as has been discussed above), an almost complete history of science, it's an charmingly honest tour of the people and personalities behind scientific discovery, an honest and open look at how science and scientists work (and sometimes, quite frankly, how sometimes those people fail to work together!) It's written with tender care and wit, it's an almost affectionate look at understanding our world, written for a general, curious reader who wants to learn how we got to our understanding of the sciences. He covers it all, from how atoms work through earth sciences, paleontology, physics, cosmology, almost everything, including some philosophy of science. Along the way you see the personalities (warts and all!) of the people behind the discoveries. You read about the arguments and controversies, and above all, the connections between everything; how our understanding of our planet is connected to, say, our own history and culture.

For me, having just put the finished book down, it's my Number One Recommendation for a general curious readership; accessible to anyone with a reading age above around twleve. It's not a dry read; because of his connection of people to discoveries, it's actually intriguing, a real page-turner. I want this book to be read by all the flat-earthers and those narrow-minded folks intent on removing Real Science from education. It's not judgemental, rather honest about the personalities responsible for pushing our understanding forward, almost a biography of science itself.

In addition, it's witty and even occasionally laugh-out-loud funny and it makes science personal as well as connects it with real human history. If I've not yet convinced you to read it, I have failed. Honestly, read this book, and even better, buy it for those you love.


xclip -o | wc -w
308