名古屋空港

Nagoya Kûkô (NGO) is the principal international airport for the Chubu region of Japan, and is located between the cities of Nagoya, Komaki, and Kasugai. It has a single runway 2.7 km long and 45 m wide.

The airport was originally built in 1944, and saw its first civilian service in 1952. Japan regained control of the airport from the United States in 1958, and placed it under the joint jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transport and Japan Self Defense Forces. Today, more than ten million passengers pass through the airport each year, many of them business travelers associated with Aichi's gigantic industrial base.

In addition to extensive domestic service by Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways, and Nakanihon Airlines, Nagoya also receives international flights from Air China, Air New Zealand, Asiana Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Continental Airlines, EVA Air, Garuda Indonesia, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Northwest Airlines, Singapore Airlines, and Varig.

One peculiarity about NGO is that JAL allows passengers to clear customs and immigration there, and then connect to an international flight at New Tokyo International Airport as though they were international passengers in transit.

Unlike Japan's other big airports, there is no direct rail service: the only way to get to NGO is by bus or taxi. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport from JR Nagoya Station, where the Shinkansen stops.

Chubu International Airport is currently under construction to take the international load off of Nagoya: it is scheduled for completion in 2005.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.