A 6-voice polyphonic analog synthesizer with very limited MIDI support.

The Roland JP-6 has two CEM 3340 VCOs per voice. VCO1 is switchable between any combination of triangle, sawtooth, pulse and square waveforms, and has a range of four octaves. VCO2 replaces the square waveform with a noise generator and has a six octave range. The oscillators can be cross-modulated, and also synchronized to each other. Either or both of them can be modulated by the two LFOs or one of the two ADSR envelope generators.

The VCF in Jupiter-6 is an interesting one. It is a multi-mode filter with either 4-pole lowpass, 4-pole highpass or 2-pole bandpass. The filter is resonant on all modes, which provides some unique sounds as resonant highpass filters are quite rare. The VCF can be modulated by either one of the envelopes, the LFO and keyboard tracking.

In addition to two polyphonic modes, the second one being there for use with portamento, there's also a monophonic solo mode with two oscillators for each voice. But what's better is the solo unison mode with whopping 12 VCO:s at once! Also present is the unison mode, which starts with six voices and divides them as you play more notes.

The initial MIDI support vas very weak, with only notes and program change. Later versions of the JP-6 improved this a little, allowing it to power up in POLY instead of OMNI mode, and receive on two channels for the upper and lower part of a split.

Production period:
1983


back to Roland

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.