It has occured to me that, for most people (being city dwellers), hiking is something you "go do". I would not dream for a second of disagreeing that that's what it is for them, but I would like to point out an alternate view point.

For those of us surrounded by nature, hiking is a frequent occurence. We do not need to bring water, a picnic lunch, or trail mix. We don't need to carry anything. We don't have to pack our cars or round up the family or friends. We have the luxury of leaving the house, walking a mile or two, and being in nature. In my case, this means that after X hours' hiking, I can usually be X hours from the nearest point of human contact. This is not a given, you understand, because in certain directions after X hours you inevitable meet up with civilization again.

It should be noted that hiking is not inherently a group activity. I very much prefer to explore by myself. Being out in nature, hours from any other human being, all by oneself can be quite exhilarating. I don't like to sit and think usually; there are always places I haven't visited.

One of the more important aspects to be aware of when hiking at non-touristy locations is the fact that yes, there is wildlife in nature. The creatures do normally avoid you at all costs, but you have to be keenly aware of where you are going and what is around you. Listening is important; you will almost always hear them before you see them. And some creatures, such as rattlesnakes, make their presence known through sound.

I like to pretend I'm fearless when I'm hiking, and for the most part I convince myself, but I can't help but avoid the rocky outcroppings where rattlesnakes like to nest, and one particular "Bear Canyon". There are uncountable pamphlets and proven procedures for dealing with confrontations with different creatures, but I say the situation will deal with itself. The only two I really remember are: fetal position for bears, fight mountain lions, specifically hit them in the nose. I seriously doubt I'll ever have to do either, but then again I'm fearless, right?

Ah, but I'm getting off the subject now. When I feel the urge or need to return to civilization, a simple turn around or swing around the current mountain, and I begin the return trek from whence I came, and where I shall come again.