SNAKES! ON A PLANE!

Yes, my friends, this is in fact a movie that is going to be released on August 18, 2006. It purports to have all of those things that movies should:

Plot: There are actually snakes, on a plane.
Subplot: Something about the mafia or cops or something.
Protagonist: Samuel L. Jackson
Other characters: Pilots, flight attendants, comic relief, mafia members... and, presumably, snakebait.
Dialogue: "Enough is enough. I've had it with these snakes." This line appears in the trailer, as does a lot of screaming, hissing, frenetic guitar soundtrack, and stuff blowing up -- but I assume that this line of dialogue, while fascinating, to-the-point, and deeply moving (tears sprang unbidden into my eyes), cannot stand alone, and must be accompanied by at least three others. (Possibly, "Why are you holding that gun?", "What is that hissing sound coming from the oxygen masks?", or "In case of emergency, the exits are located here and here.")
Snakes: The trailer shows several, suggesting that this is one Hollywood promise that will be well kept.

In addition to having these movie-like qualities, Snakes on a Plane also has, through the love of internet users, attained the much more valuable cultural role of wildly popular and completely obscure internet meme (fancy word for in-joke). Now, even just the abbreviation -- SOAP, in case you didn't notice -- can be capitalised or punctuated in any number of exciting ways to express every emotion possible, ie, happiness, sadness, shock, anger, and wtf?1!?!!?.

So, should you find yourself in a situation where all you can say is, "Shit happens," or some equivalent thereof, replace it with the much more kid-friendly saying, "Snakes on a plane." After all, the title of this pop-culture phenomenon masquerading as a movie is actually a brilliantly succinct statement on the extreme absurdist nature of all human (and reptilian) life.

So, herpetophiles and airline pilots rejoice. Your moment has come. Say it with me: "Snakes on a plane."

Snakes on a plane.


Update: February 19, 2007: I have now seen this movie twice, once on opening night and once a few weeks ago. It has percolated in my brain for a bit, and I have to conclude that this movie lived up to my expectations, and then, when that kid says, "This shit is bananas!" it blew past everything and expanded my mind to a degree that only mind-altering drugs had previously done.

Or something like that. But, seriously, it was a great movie.