Niccolò Machiavelli was born on May 3, 1469 in Florence. He was a great writer, diplomat, historian and playwright of the renaissance period who is most famous today for his views on politics, human nature, morality, fortune and religion. During his time, he was regarded as immoral and deceitful. In fact, his nickname in the 16th century was "Old Nick" — a popular nickname for Satan. The term "Murderous Machiavel" also became a favorite reference in Elizabethan plays.

Today, Machiavelli still has a bad reputation. In many dictionaries, the term "Machiavellian" means to be politically cunning, power-seeking and unscrupulous. This reputation is mostly the result of The Prince which has been described as "a handbook for dictators," advocating the cynical philosophy of "the end justifies the means." Many people misinterpret Machiavelli's views on politics because they base them entirely from this short book. However, his full political philosophy can be found in his Discourses on Livy which reveals that he was actually a strong republican who believed that the purpose of politics was to promote the "common good" but since very few people had or have read his other works, Machiavelli's bad reputation continues unabated.

To get a better understanding of his works, one must understand the period in which he lived. The Prince was written during a period in history when Italy was in danger of being destroyed by foreign enemies and Machiavelli felt that Italy could only be saved by a strong leader.

Born the son of a lawyer, Machiavelli attended the University of Florence and studied logic, mathematics, music, astronomy and philosophy. He was highly influenced by private readings and practical experiences with people. By far his greatest influence is the period in which he lived.

Renaissance Italy was the scene of intense political chaos. It was divided into several city states and threats were developing from nearby nation states such as France and Spain. Florence, unlike most of the Italian states was still independent and ruled by a republican government. As a strong republican, Machiavelli was intent on protecting and strengthening the independence of the city.

Machiavelli's political career began in 1498, when he became Chief Secretary and then second Chancellor to the Florentine Republic. His diplomatic responsibilities included investigation of the conditions of foreign states and of the political orientation of princes. In his diplomatic missions abroad between 1499 and 1508, he met many of the most powerful political figures of the age including Césare Borgia, King Louis XII of France, Pope Julius II, the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II and the Medici family.

Césare Borgia was a cunning and cruel man, much like the one portrayed in The Prince. Although Machiavelli did not truly agree with Borgia's policies, he found him to be a very effective ruler, admiring him for his boldness, clever ways and expert use of cruelty.

The Medici were one of the richest and most powerful families in Italy. They came to power in 1434. In the year Machiavelli was born (1469), Lorenzo de Medici came to power leading Florence in a stable and prosperous period. Lorenzo's death in 1492 lead to a new republic. He was succeded by his son Piero II. However, the French invaded Florence in 1494 and Piero was banished in disgrace by angry citizens who immediately established a republic governed by a Council. This republic lasted from 1494-1512. The first four years of the new republic were heavily influenced by the charismatic Dominican preacher Girolamo Savonarola who held no formal political position. He issued prophecies of worldly corruption in both society and church. The preacher managed to exploit the discontent of the city's masses and their fears about the future. In 1497, he urged people to burn worldly attachments in an "bonfire of the vanities". Ironically, a year later, Savonarola himself was burned at the stake after being charged with heresy by the Pope. Machiavelli's first political experience as a youth was watching Savonarola from afar.

These events and rulers are clearly reflected in Machiavell's preoccupation with military matters. Machiavelli was especially critical of the employment of mercenaries and advocated the formation of a citizen army. After the republic was overthrown in 1512, Machiavelli was imprisoned and tortured for allegedly conspiring against the Medici. On his release in 1513, he retired to his family estate and began work on his major writings. However, he never gave up hope of returning to politics. He tried to regain the favor of the Medici by dedicating a few of his works to them. In 1525, the Medici recalled him to service for a short time but he never did fully regain their trust.

Machiavelli died on June 22, 1527.

Sources:

  • Britannica.com
  • Ann Arbor at http://users.erols.com/gberry/politics/theory.htm
  • www.google.com
  • M, for taking me to Florence. This is to prove i was paying attention :)