Here's the News for the day as of 9:59am Central European Time:
________________________________________________________________________________

International Herald Tribune (www.iht.com)

Jospin Envisions an Alternative EU
Prime Minister Lionel Jospin of France proposed a wide arc of left-wing social ambitions for Europe's future on Monday, with perspectives that swept from harmonized working conditions to a so-called economic government that would serve as a political watchman over the independent European Central Bank.

Moscow Unswayed by a U.S. Deal on Missile Pact
The Kremlin said Monday that its opposition to scrapping the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty would not be changed by a reported proposal by the Bush administration to incorporate Russian missiles and radars into a new anti-missile defense system.

After Riots, Politicians Point Fingers
the rioting last weekend between whites and Asians in Oldham, in the English Midlands, and finger-pointing in its aftermath by politicians campaigning for the election on June 7 have exposed volatile tensions in what is outwardly one of Europe's most stable multiethnic cultures.

Alcatel's Big Challenge: Making Lucent Work
For the company's board and its chairman and chief, Henry Schacht, it may make more sense to sell the limping Lucent now than to suffer years of restructuring, missed earnings estimates and Wall Street scrutiny. And someone happens to be willing to take on such a rehabilitation.

Sexy New Golf Magazines Aim at Swingers
The magazines that have long been the standard bearers for the golfing community have changed radically in the last year, shifting ownership, recruiting editors from different fields, radically redesigning and expanding with new titles.
________________________________________________________________________________

BBC (www.news.bbc.co.uk)

Blair woos business vote
Labour promotes its business manifesto as the UK general election agenda returns to tax and the economy.

Spy plane to return home
The US and China strike a deal to have the US spy plane stranded on Hainan island dismantled and transported home by cargo plane.

Vodafone posts £4bn profit
Mobile phone giant Vodafone unveils full year pre-tax profits of £4bn following a period of rapid expansion worldwide.

Sporadic violence in Oldham
Twenty-one youths are held after sporadic violence in Oldham overnight, but a huge police presence prevents a third night of race riots.

Nazi suspect faces extradition
An Australian court rules that Konrad Kalejs - who fled Britain last year - can be extradited to Latvia to face Nazi war crimes charges.
________________________________________________________________________________

The New York Times (www.nytimes.com)

H.M.O.'s and Hospitals Lag In Reporting Medical Errors
A federal program to protect patients from inept doctors is failing because H.M.O.'s and hospitals rarely report those doctors to the government as they are required to do.

Comair Strike May Change Industry
A walkout by pilots at a regional carrier based in Cincinnati that is now entering its 10th week could have a lasting impact on the airline industry.

A Perilous 4,000-Mile Passage to Work
From Mexico to Farmingville, N.Y., an illegal immigrant's journey to escape the poverty of his homeland is fraught with danger and sometimes death.

Russia Continues to Oppose Scrapping ABM Treaty
The Kremlin said that its opposition to scrapping the Antiballistic Missile Treaty would not be changed by a United States proposal that included military aid.

For Crucial California Trip, Bush Considers State's Energy Crisis
President Bush is set to meet with Gov. Gray Davis, a Democrat, to discuss California's energy problems during Mr. Bush's first visit to the state as president.
________________________________________________________________________________

Panapress (www.panapress.com/english)

Confusion after reported coup attempt in CAR
Dakar, Senegal - The situation remained unclear for much of Monday in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic (CAR), after an overnight reported coup attempt against the government of President Ange-Felix Patasse.

Low school enrolment of African children worries UNESCO
Banjul, Gambia - UNESCO has underlined ""low enrolment of children into schools"" as one of the big challenges facing the organisation and the African education sector, according to Armoogum Parsuramen, the Director of UNESCO's Regional office in Dakar.

Senegal envisages party pre-conditions for elections
Dakar, Senegal - Political parties would henceforth have to meet purtain pre-condition to field candidates in elections in Senegal, President Abdoulaye Wade hinted Monday evening in Dakar.

Belgian PM to visit DR Congo June ending
Brussels, Belgium - Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt is expected to attend the 30 June festivities marking the 41st independence anniversary of DR Congo.

Church closed after drug find
Freetown, Sierra Leone - Leaders of the Celestial Church of Christ in the western Sierra Leonean capital Freetown, say they have ordered the Church closed following the discovery of a large quantity of cocaine and the subsequent arrest of some pastors.
________________________________________________________________________________

China Daily (http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/news/index.html

China, US agree to ship EP-3 spy plane back on a cargo jumbo
The United States and China have agreed to a deal "in principle" that would ship the damaged US Navy spy plane EP-3 home aboard a commercial cargo aircraft, officials from both sides said on May 28.

Ties with Russia witness sound new development
The two initiators of the strategic co-operative partnership between China and Russia met Monday in Beijing, and admired the sound development bilateral ties are currently enjoying.

New rules to strike gold
Gold market deregulation in China is expected to boost demand for the metal once it resumes its functions as a common commodity and investment tool.

US warship barred from visiting Hong Kong
China has refused a port call by a US warship to Hong Kong, the first denial since a mid-air collision between an American spy plane and a Chinese fighter jet off the south China coast on April 1.

Harry Potter sales break 1.3 million in China
The Harry Potter books have sold more than 1.3 million copies in China, prompting the launch of the fourth book in the series in the world's most populous country, publishers said Monday.
________________________________________________________________________________

Moscow Times (www.themoscowtimes.com)

Moscow: We Won't Scrap ABM
Moscow seems as determined as ever to actively oppose U.S. plans for a missile defense shield.

Yeltsin Drops In on Jiang in Beijing
Looking fitter than he has in years, former President Boris Yeltsin touched down in Beijing on Monday.

Putin Dresses Down Kasyanov on Budget
The President told Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov on Monday "not to repeat mistakes of the past."

Maskhadov: Peace Talks 'Inevitable' for Chechnya
Chechen rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov said in an interview that peace talks with Russia were "inevitable."

Shevardnadze Quells Mutiny Attempt
Nationalist protesters clashed with police in Georgia only hours after President Eduard Shevardnadze defused an army mutiny, as the country marked a decade of independence. ________________________________________________________________________________


A Very Merry UnBirthday to
everyone
____________________________________________________________

Oh and I just found out that Prince is now a Jehovah's Witness. WOW!