I have served the following celebrities, some at Brentano's bookstore in Costa Mesa, CA but most at Bookstar in Studio City. (Bookstar is on Ventura Boulevard, right down the street from CBS and at the base of Laurel Canyon where dwell the rich and famous.)

  • Paul Reubens (Incognito. Would never have recognized him as Pee Wee Herman if I hadn't seen his driver's license. Bought a book on Hispanics in Hollywood.)
  • Morgan Fairchild (Stunning. She looks exactly as she does on TV.)
  • Claude Akins (Smelled odd.)
  • Roger Moore (Fairly twinkled with charm. Giggling girls followed him at a distance everywhere he went.)
  • Michael Caine (Seemed distracted and nervous.)
  • Adam West (Wanted to know where the restroom was.)
  • Burgess Meredith (Told me a story about sailing in Australia. Afterward I had the nagging feeling he might have been hitting on me.)
  • The older brother from Blossom
  • John Astin (Exactly like I'd imagined he might be, exuberant and friendly.)
  • Richard Dreyfuss (Harried-looking as he tried to corral his kids.)
  • Justine Bateman (Friendly and talkative. Really into the author Steve Erickson.)
  • Burt Reynolds (Funny and laid back. One time he came in looking for books by Southern authors. I jokingly recommended Deliverance. "Nah," he said. "I already know the ending.")
  • James Dickey, author of Deliverance. (He was a little tipsy. Told stories about Jack London. Said I should play the guitar.)
  • Roddy McDowall. (Nice. Polite. See his node for the account of the funny/awful thing that happened to him at our store.)
  • Michael Richards (Quiet and unassuming, yet impossible to miss. I spotted him in conversation with Dennis Miller once, which for some reason got me all excited, like it was a comedy summit meeting or something.)
  • Dennis Miller (Seemed a little dazed.)
  • Yeardley Smith (aka Lisa Simpson. She's small, and talks just like that.)
  • Tom and Roseanne Arnold (Bought mountains of tapes of old radio comedy shows. Seemed down, but maybe comedians always seem down compared to when they're "on".)
  • Laurie Metcalf (Played Roseanne's sister on her show. Seemed very, very tired. A lot of these people do.)
  • William Devane (In my favorite Hollywood moment, called me "babe".)