Since only critical analysis of Karl Marx' work is written here, I decided to post this biographical WU. I think it's appropriate to briefly outline the man's life at least, until someone decides to pen a better bio. Mind you, this is only a paper I churned out in 45 minutes out for another student (US $10, 1/3 more pages than required...cha Ching.). Nevertheless, it's good to have some sort of biography in the guy's own node. Without further adieu I present...

The Life of Karl Marx

Karl Marx was one of the most influential thinkers of the 19th century. His writings on philosophy and the role of the working class have influenced billions of people all over the earth; including those in Germany, Russia, China, England, and the United States. The ideas he put forth in his fascinating and remarkable life have forever changed the world. Although he led a controversial life with radical views, he managed to gain the admiration of millions of “Marxists,” as they would come to be called.

Karl Marx was born in Germany to a lawyer in 1818. Although his family was Jewish, his father converted to Lutheranism. Marx went to school to become a lawyer as his father had done, but he became interested in philosophy (as many Germans were at that time), and left to study at Jena. German universities were the best in the world then, a place of enlightened thought and diverse study. Marx was a proponent of Socialism; however, he rejected the ideas of Hegel--the most prolific Socialist writer of the day--as too wistful. Instead, Marx fell under the influence of the Socialist philosophers of Ludwig Feuerbach and Moses Hess.

Karl gained his PhD at Jena in 1841, and acquired his first major job as the editor of Rheinische Zeitung, radical newspaper, in 1842. In 1843, the Rheinische Zeitung’s views were seen as too revolutionary, and the publication was suppressed. Europe was in a state of turmoil in the mid-1800s, and there had been several revolutions. Radical ideas of the state and rights of the working class fueled many of these uprisings, and many liberal forums for discussion were being exterminated. This no doubt had an influence on Marx’ ideas and writings.

The suppression of the Rheinische Zeitung prompted Marx to move to Paris, a move that would change his life. In 1844, Marx met a man by the name of Friedrich Engels, whom he would collaborate with until the day he died. Together, Marx and Engels made a fantastic writing force. They shared a common perspective in that of Socialism. Both Marx and Engels held the belief that the worker was entitled to his equal part in society, both democratically and economically.

Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels joined the Communist League in 1847. In 1848, as writers for the Communist League, Marx and Engels produced their most popular and influential work, an essay called The Communist Manifesto. In it, the two proclaimed that the proletariat (the working class) would inevitably come to overthrow the bourgeois (the upper ruling class). The notion that the workers of the world would overcome the ruling class was not a new one, because previous philosophers had stated this. However, there was a new and intriguing element Marx added to this theory. Instead of saying that it was the workers’ natural right to be equal and overthrow the bourgeois--like Hegel and the earlier philosophers--Marx stated that the workers’ triumph was a historical law of inevitability. No matter what, he said, the proletariat will win. This was a very radical and dangerous view to have at that time.

Marx founded many revolutionary parties in the mainland of Europe, to help kindle and encourage worker uprising. However, after the revolutions of 1848 failed, Marx was exiled from most countries on the mainland. Marx was forced to move to London in 1849, where he would stay for the rest of his life. Left nearly penniless from his constant relocation and small dividends from his writing career, he had to take up work in less revolutionary field. He wrote on correspondence for the New York Tribune, but that wasn’t enough. His friend, Friedrich Engels, funded him for the rest of his life.

In 1864, Marx helped to found the International Workingmen's Association. With this organization, Marx's ideas began to spread even more in Europe. The creation of the IWA compelled Marx to write a comprehensive manuscript outlining his ideas. With the editorial and monetary support of Engels, He came out with a monumental review of his theories in 1867 with Das Kapital I . Later, he followed Das Kapital in three more volumes; which were edited and published posthumously.

For the remainder of his life, Marx was consulted on many Socialist party activities and was considered to be the godfather of the workers movement. His views on sociology and history were revolutionary, on level with the great minds of the Enlightenment Age. Karl Marx’ writings have been the lifeblood of communist movements for 150 years. He’s inspired Debs, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Trotsky, and countless others to undertake the leveling of the class system. Karl Marx died in 1883, at the age of 65.

From Each According To His Abilities, To Each According To His Needs


Node your business homework!