Shopping, shopping, shopping for tons of books...

Erm, anyway. Being the biblioholic that I am, I went over to Bookman's (one of a small Arizonan chain of secondhand bookstores) today after work, as part of my continuing quest to convert my bedroom to library storage. It's interesting to note that in their philosophy section, half of a bookcase is filled with books by Leon Trotsky. In fact, I think these are the only new books in the whole store, which makes you wonder...

At any rate, I picked up the following:

  • Isaac Asimov - The Early Asimov, Volume One - A collection of Asimov's first 27 short stories, complete with commentary from the Good Doctor himself.
  • Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum - I've never read anything by Eco, and this seemed like a good place to start.
  • Robert Heinlein - I Will Fear No Evil - Interesting-looking novel about an old man having his mind "joined" with his secretary's to avoid death. Or something.
  • Walter M. Miller, Jr. - A Canticle for Leibowitz - The novel I'm reading right now. I'm not finished it, but I already like it enough to want a copy. So now I do. Woo ha.
  • Larry Niven - Tales of Known Space - Various short stories in the standard Niven universe.
  • Ayn Rand - Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology - I felt all dirty buying this, not least because I paid more for it than most of the other books. Still, know thine enemy and all that. If they had had some Derrida or Foucault there, I probably would have picked that up as well. At least it's used, so it's not like Leonard Peikoff and company are getting any money out of me.
  • Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago - After looking in politics, Russian history, and biographies, I found this under fiction. Anywho, I got all three volumes for seven dollars total. Hooray for buying secondhand books.
  • T.H. White - The Once and Future King - This is one of those novels everyone's supposed to have read, but I never have as of yet. If nothing else, I'll get to see how much Disney fucked with it.