The airplane-treadmill problem is stated as follows:

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyor). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?1

This interesting gedankenexperiment has drawn quite a bit of discussion. This, in my opinion, is mainly because it is poorly worded. Hence, I'll first try to get unambiguous descriptions of the problem, before I'll try to answer the question.

The whole problem with the wording is in the word "speed". In physics, speed has no meaning if it isn't defined to a frame of reference, in other words, an observer. There are two sensible definitions of speed possible: speed with respect to the ground and speed with respect to the conveyor belt. The first case is easiest, so I'll tackle that first.

If the speed of the airplane is defined with respect to the ground, the conveyor belt will move in the opposite direction. Now, an airplane is powered by its engines, either jet engines or one or more propellers. These move the plane with respect to the air. A movement with respect to the ground is in itself not very relevant for the whole takeoff problem. The reason is that a plane lifts off when the speed of the air over its wings is high enough for the lift to be bigger than the weight of the airplane. The ground has little to do with that. Hence, the only thing that will happen is that the engines will have to work a bit harder as the tires rotate at twice the speed - for every meter the plane moves forward, the wheels must travel two meters, one with respect to the Earth and one because the conveyor belt moves in the opposite direction. In this scenario, the plane will simply take off, as the friction in the wheels is rather negligible compard to the drag induced by the air.

Now, another way of reading this is that we define speed as follows. The speed of the plane is the speed with respect to the conveyor belt. The speed of the conveyor belt is the speed with respect to us, an external viewer, sitting on a lawn chair with a parasol (this parasol will be important later),watching the whole spectacle. In this setup, the plane is stationary with respect to the observer - for every meter the plane moves forward on the belt, the belt moves back one meter, leaving at the exact same spot. This probably isn't the most obvious way of reading the question, but it is the most interesting one.

Before going to the cute theoretical answer to this paradox, it's perhaps more fun to consider what will happen in real life. Imagine our plane is passenger jet like a Boeing 767. This plane has a thrust of about 270 kN 2. All this thrust is being counteracted by the friction the wheels of the landing gear have with the conveyor belt (whether this friction is between the surface of the belt and the wheel or between the wheel and it axle is not too relevant at this point). There are, apart from gravity and the normal force that prevents the plane from sinking in the ground, no other forces acting on the airplane. This does imply two things:

  1. The entire thrust has to be counteracted by the landing gear. I'm not an airplane engineer, so I can't tell whether the landing gear can hold 270 kN, or 27 tonnes, of force in that direction. Given the speed at which an aircraft can brake at the runway, I think it might.
  2. The friction creates heat. Normally, the wheels of a landing gear only brake for a very short amount of time, and even then, occasionally, a tire pops. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the landing gear catches fire. Of course, such a burning landing gear will eventually ignite the plane and cause it to blow up. So, parts of it will take off - hence the need for a parasol.

From the discussion above, it is clear that such an experiment will be very difficult to conduct - the conveyor belt would need to run at a very high speed, potentially a lot higher than the normal takeoff speed of an airplane, to generate enough friction to counter the force of the engines. However, let's assume we live in an Ideal World where this is not a problem. Can we answer our paradox? It turns out that the answer depends on the conveyor belt used.

As discussed, an airplane takes off when the lift generated by its wings is larger than the weight of the airplane. Wings generate lift when air blows past them. We have just decided that the plane remains fixed with respect to the Earth. So, the only question remaining now is: Will it also remain fixed with respect to the air? In other words, does the air move?

There are two moving parts in our setup: the engines and the belt. The engines do move air. If it's a jet, the engines will move the air from in front of the wing to behind it, but the air will move through the engine, and it will not hit the front of the wing. In case of a propeller - driven aircraft, some air will hit the wings, but it will likely not be enough to cause liftoff. In other words, the engines can't help us. Now, let's look at our conveyor belt. Imagine I'm looking one millimeter above the conveyor belt. It stands to reason the air at that point has the same speed as the conveyor belt, as it is so close to it and the viscosity of the air is enough to keep it at (almost) the same speed.

Imagine the plane is on a set of very small conveyor belts just under the wheels, perhaps a few treadmills normally used for exercises, only reinforced and powered by a very powerful engine. The air very close to the treadmills will move at the speed of the treadmills; the rest of the air will just have the speed of the ground, which is zero with respect to the speed of the airplane. The plane won't take off.

Now, imagine the plane is on a gargantuan conveyor belt, one that has a surface of several square kilometers. Now, the speed of the air above this conveyor belt will be roughly equal to the speed of the conveyor belt - the larger the conveyor belt, the smaller the difference. It is possible to compute the minimum dimensions of the conveyor belt that is big enough for this the speed difference to be small, but I think this is not a very easy computation (the effect of the finite width of the conveyor belt are not difficult, that of the finite length seems harder) and I don't have a Computational Fluid Dynamics package handy here, so we'll assume that our conveyor belt is big enough - a few kilometers by a few kilometers seems more than big enough. In this case, the air will be blowing against the wings of the plane, and it will be just like a normal takeoff. As a matter of fact, if this is a really big conveyor belt, as big as the eye can see, the passengers wouldn't be able to tell they were taking off from a treadmill and not from a real runway (provided we paint nice runways on the rubber of the treadmill, that is).

In summary, we can state that most of the confusion of this paradox is in the poor wording, in particular the definition of speed. The outcome of the experiment - takeoff, no takeoff, or an accident - depend on the setup. If we say that the speed of the airplane is determined with respect to the ground, then the problem is not very difficult, and the plane will take off. If we define the speed with respect to the conveyor belt, it becomes more interesting, and we have three possibilities. If the wheels become too hot, an accident will happen. On a small conveyor belt - admittedly the most logical setup - the plane won't take off, while on a large enough conveyor belt, the plane will.

Sources:

  1. http://mouser.org/log/archives/2006/02/001003.html
  2. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/767family/pf/pf_200prod.html