A plus rarely raised for subtitles in the sub vs. dub debate, is their reverse-compatibility. A subtitled film is accessible to two languages. Films can even be double-subbed to be accessible to three different languages.

It feels like such a rip-off to flick channels and stop at The Avengers or Return of the Jedi, only to realise it's dubbed: both low quality for the French (since many voice actors have the acting ability of a porn star) and inaccessible to the English. I would never have seen More if it weren't for subtitles, since it's a rare movie to find in video stores and was playing on a French channel. And, interesting to note, I found it hard not to read the French subtitles, which is contrary to many people's arguments against subtitles and also served to add a little to my French vocabulary.

Subtitles would also be useful for films that incorporate more than two languages. For example, in Seven Years in Tibet, Brad Pitt played an Austrian, who travelled to Tibet with some Germans. There seemed to be hardly any language barriers, considering everybody was fluent in English. Now, were they really all speaking English? Or German? Or Tibetan? Or Chinese?

But who really cares, it's only a movie.


Thanks, Gamaliel. The Red Violin is a great subtitling example.