2001: A Space Odyssey is a movie that I've spent hours thinking about. Mainly since the movie itself is slow enough to actually let the viewer think about it. One of my favorite themes was the whole thing with tools. The monolith inspires the first pre-human creature to start using tools. Of course, the first use of tools is to kill things. First, other creatures for meat, but then another member of the species. The humanoid creates the tool (by simply picking it up in this case), and then kills with it. Then, in the future we are presented with HAL. In one of the coolest death scenes in cinema, HAL kills Dave's companion in the silence of space. I'm sure we all knew what it sounded like inside that guy's helmet though. HAL then systematically kills the rest of the crew by turning off their life support. If asked, I'm guessing most people would offhandedly agree with the statement that HAL has committed murder. But, HAL is a machine. Just a tool. Can a machine really be held responsible for murder? Who's fault is it then? While you're toying over this question Stanley Kubrick throws in an even more disturbing problem. Dave manages to get into HAL's "brain" and much in the same way HAL had killed the sleeping passengers, Dave slowly dismantles him. The entire time HAL protests and then finally fades away, "Daisy...daisy". Now, the question is, Did Dave murder HAL? It's also interesting note how machine-like Dave is, especially in HAL's "death scene", where HAL seems the more human of the two.