I will probably cop a bit of flak over this recipe, as it is far from traditional, but after plenty of procrastination as well as some encouragement from an interested party, I have decided to throw it into the ring.

So what makes this brûlée different from the recipes above? Well first of all it is a no bake recipe. Baked Crème brûlée is all very well, but it has a certain texture. It is reasonably dense, somewhat akin to crème caramel. On the other hand, no bake versions that have egg as the only setting agent tread a fine line. They can easily be too eggy and set to a nice texture, or use less eggs and end up too thin. This version uses the aid of *GASP* - gelatine.

This is the most decadent of desserts; a well-made version is like inviting angels into your mouth. The use of a tiny bit of gelatine not only makes this recipe texturally orgasmic, but it also slightly easier to make, and more consistent.

There are a few important things to remember. It is essential that you use leaf gelatine sheets for this recipe, and good quality leaves too. Gelatine powder gives inconsistent and sometimes lumpy results. If you cant find gelatine sheets, try one of the above recipes. In addition, this recipe is not set in ramekins like the others; it is cooled down and set in a large, single bowl. You spoon it out into individual portions just as you are about to serve. The idea behind this is to gently whip the brûlée mixture as you serve to lighten it up a little and get the texture just right.

Ingredients

  • 6 eggs yolks
  • 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) cream (35 % butterfat)
  • 1 sheet good quality gelatine
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) caster sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean, split down the middle
  • Extra caster sugar
  • Method

    Place the yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar into a large bowl and whisk until combined. Place the cream and vanilla bean in a saucepan and gently bring to the simmer. Just before it boils, remove from the heat and pour into the yolk mixture and immediately begin to whisk, combining the mixture. Be quick at this point, as you don't want the hot cream to curdle the eggs.

    Return this mixture to the rinsed out saucepan and set over gentle heat. Stir continuously until the custard is cooked. You can tell when it is cooked by lifting the stirring spoon out of the mixture. When done, the custard will coat the spoon. Alternatively if you own a sugar thermometer the custard is cooked at 86° C.

    Soak the gelatine sheet in a little cold water until it is pliable. This will take about 30 seconds. Lift out the gelatine sheet and squeeze out any excess moisture. Add the sheet to the hot custard and stir well to dissolve. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl or Tupperware container and allow to cool.

    Once the custard is completely cool press a sheet of cling wrap on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin forming. Place in the refrigerator and allow to set. The recipe can be made to this stage up to 2 days in advance.

    When ready to serve, gently but thoroughly beat the mixture to lighten it up a little, and then spoon into 4 - 6 small ramekins. You want to make sure it reaches right to the rim so the toffee crust cooks properly. Place a generous amount of caster sugar in a sieve and shake over the ramekins. You want a thorough and even covering so the top caramelises completely.

    You now have 4 options on how to caramelise the top of the brûlée

    1. A brûlée iron
    2. A large metal kitchen spoon
    3. A gas blowtorch
    4. A griller/broiler

    A brûlée iron is a fairly expensive kitchen tool. It is a long handled instrument with a thick iron disc, 5 cm in diameter on one end. This disc is place directly onto a gas flame and heated to an incendiary level, then placed directly onto the sugar creating an instant toffee coating. If you don't have one of these, you can replicate the same effect by using a large metal serving spoon. They don't hold heat like a brûlée iron will, so you will need to heat the spoon after each use.

    When using this method, remember to always hold the iron or spoon with a tea towel and remove all non-essential people from the kitchen, lest they be branded. It also pays to open a window as the melting sugar creates a fair bit of smoke. Gently place the iron or spoon onto the sugar and keep it moving across the whole surface so as not to burn a particular area. Obviously this method only works if you have a gas stovetop.

    A blowtorch can be used as well if you own one. Keep the tip of the flame right on the sugar, as you want it to caramelise before the custard melts.

    A grill or broiler is the least desirable method, as they can rarely generate the heat needed to caramelise the top before the custard melts. If it your only option, make sure you pre-heat your grill to its highest setting and place the ramekins as close to the heat as possible.

    Whatever method you choose, if the caramel starts to go black, or acrid, bitter smells are emitted, stop caramelising at once. Burnt sugar tastes foul.

    This is almost the complete dessert, I would only suggest fresh fruit as an accompaniment, perhaps raspberries. Poached strawberries are also a yummy partner. Because this dessert is so rich, an extremely decadent wine is the only possible tipple. A botrytis affected Semillon is the best choice. In Australia try De Bortoli Noble One, or if you are feeling flush, an aged Château D'Yquem would make it a night to remember.